Oklahoma House Advances Bill to Allow Sports Betting in the State
The Oklahoma House has advanced House Bill 1027 to the Senate, which would allow tribes to offer sports betting in the state. The bill would enable tribes to offer in-person or online sports betting, or both, and they would pay the state 4-6% of their revenue, with 12% assigned to the general revenue fund and the remaining 88% earmarked for the Education Reform Revolving Fund. The bill’s author, state Rep. Ken Luttrell, said the state could add an estimated $9 million a year to the state budget from revenue earned from sports betting. However, there is no consensus among the 35 tribes that operate gaming in Oklahoma, and every tribal nation has unique factors to consider, such as costs, geography, and competition.